Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A drug that herps you derp

Not doing much around here. Cleaning my room up a bit, I've been stretching this task over several days because my room is a disaster area. There's boxes of clothes, hats, trash and paper everywhere... I really need to take better care of it. It's better now than it's been in a long time, but it's still not good enough.

I have been playing Yume Miru Kusuri in my spare time, though.



I followed the Aeka path because I felt like I'd be able to relate/sympathize with her the most. It... wasn't what I expected. I had seen CGs from the game online, specifically of Aeka and Kouhei strangling that ginger girl- Nanjou? That's honestly what sparked my interest in the game in the first place.

Aeka's situation was so ridiculous that I found it extremely hard to sympathize with her at all. Nanjou's boyfriend flirted with her, and Nanjou decided to devote the next several years to making the girl's life a hell. But... everyone, including Nanjou, KNEW that the boy had not only hit on other girls but had sex with them.

Why the hell did Nanjou target Aeka? There are plenty of girls who did much more than just accept his affections. I suppose we can proceed with the idea that Aeka was the first, and/or also the closest of these girls.

The concept of a "Queen Bee" in anything annoys me a lot. Those don't... exist. I have been in both extremely large and extremely small highschools. Only in the small one did something like a queen bee exist, and even then it was just a very shallow and manipulative girl. She fucked around with some of my friends, then we cut ties with her. She tried slandering us, but that didn't work because this is real life. In the end she just went to fuck around with the Sophmores instead.

That's the closest thing a person will realistically come to imitating this trope. Knowing that and experiencing it, I couldn't believe Nanjou's character at all.

That is the problem with things set locally, I guess. Making a character in highschool can make them more relatable, but putting them in an acutely specific situation will isolate people whose experiences differ. I couldn't get into Aeka's story because my own experiences with bullying are so vastly different from hers that it simply didn't seem believable to me.

A much broader example is The Big Bang Theory. It gets a lot of shit from the "nerd" community. The writers have created a cast of gamers and comic book fans with very sparse knowledge of how they actually act. While people who have no experience with this don't see a problem, those who are actually gamers and comic book fans find it incredibly grating.

(Cue laughtrack)

No comments:

Post a Comment